Fab Dresser redo!

Back in Action

For another Pottery Barn look alike

Woah, We have had a crazy couple of months and my blogging life got shoved to the back of the closet with all the other projects I love! Finally got it pulled out and dusted off, and hope to be back in action! We have soooo many exciting things going on and I hope to do some post about all of that excitement very soon!

Today I will start with my pair of small dressers the Ugly Duckling Twins! My grandma purchased these at a garage sale for $5 a piece, proof bargain shopping is genetic! They have been traveling around with me for the past 8 years, 3 states, and 7 homes, proof hoarding is genetic ;). The past couple of years has been hard on these girls and they needed a facelift! So I set them up on a date with my new boyfriend AKA the belt sander (best $50 spent this month), in love! My husband is concerned.

136

I started by pulling these ladies out on our patio and wiped them down. I didn’t get too crazy as I new my boyfriend would do the heavy work. I then unscrewed all of the knobs, pulled out the drawers, put my headphones in, and sanded away. I started with a course medium grit sand paper on the belt sander, then used a fine grit sandpaper by hand to smooth everything out.

Few rules I learned about the belt sander:

1. Course could sand the metal off a car in 2.5 seconds its a little extreme and leaves little room for errors

2. Sand with the grain of the wood

3. Sand off anything that is pealing, or it will peal later

4. Move the belt sander and try not to push too hard or you will leave grooves and dents

5. Let the sander do the work, and say good by to your bingo wings

Once sanding was completed I splurged and got paint and primer in one (antique white) for $9 a quart at Menards, worth every penny. I have been cheap for years buying primer then paint, and finally have learned it just isn’t worth it for most projects. I also had some Floetrol from a previous project, this stuff is fantastic. Some nice gentleman at Menards recommended it and I could just hug this guy. You just follow the directions on the container, it prolongs drying time, and helps paint dry without roller spots or brush strokes. With a brush I just painted away, pretty simple stuff!

Drawer Pulls

For the pulls I knew the old wood painted ones needed to go, and I love the look of the oil rubbed metal but hated the price $5-6 per pull, no way! I ended up finding these pulls for $2 on clearance, but clearly the color didn’t match my antique white pottery barn wannabe look.

144

I used the same technique for these that I used in this post. first I sprayed these with a layer of Rust-oleum metallic in Bronze. Then I went over it with a light coat of FLAT black, before it dries I use a paper towel to rub some off. I continued this technique until I got the desired affect. Here is the final project complete. I know I keep talking about these as a pair, but confession I still need to add the knobs to the second dresser. Their first new home will be on each side of our bed as night stands!

156

Can’t believe I forgot to mention I pulled off the retro legs and exchanged for these gorgeous things! I also Found similar dressers at pottery barn priced at $800-$1000 each!

 My Project Cost: $91

Dressers $10

Paint $9

Pulls $48

Legs $24

 Total Savings:$ 1500-1900

Ps Thank you to all of you, who have reached out and asked me to get my blog on again! It means a lot to know you guys  miss it as much as I do!!

God Bless,

Cassie

Linked up over at one of my favorite Blog House of Roses !

also linked up with Shawna at Dakota Creek Chic for her first ever blog party!!

Advertisements